Friday, August 30, 2013

First Impressions

Bah, awful title I came up with, it is definitely not sufficient to describe my first experiences in South Korea!

These are the times when words forsake me, and my English major does me no good. These are the times when life offers such potent experiences full of flavor and color, that there are no languages (French, German or English) to describe the impressions. These are the times when Art is the only way to express what goes on around me.

HOWEVER, I haven't had time to paint yet! In fact, I've had so little time to paint that I'm choosing to stay in my room tonight, and miss all the fun, so I can paint. I suppose that might seem like a waste to some, but I need to process my first impressions. So I paint.

To give you guys a little taste of my experiences, here are some photos.

View of the campus from the main gate.
Today was graduation, this means that dozens of elderly ladies stood close to the campus selling flowers, ribbons, and teddy bears wearing gowns. Every now and then one of these ladies calls out, "Flowers, beautiful flowers for your graduating friend/daughter/sister! Buy beautiful flowers here, for only "man won" (10 000won)" At least, that's what I imagine they are saying, for all I understand is "man won".      

 Yesterday all International students were invited to come to a local pub/club to party and taste Korean beer. I too, joined the throngs, and was met with some dazzling lights in downtown Seoul.

Talking and bonding over Korean beer. 

I'm coming back here to shop!^^
And last but not least, a sketch of the skyline view out of my room window. 
Here is a round view of the campus.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome post! :D that campus looks beautiful :O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Noah! :) The campus IS beautiful, I can't wait to paint it some more! I finished my first painting yesterday! :D

      Delete
  2. Ali here, even though it says "Elsa"...It is fun seeing your surroundings. Don't feel bad about stepping back to process and write. Seems like a good idea to this introvert! I'd be doing the same thing!!

    ReplyDelete