Sunday, August 25, 2013

Sketching Marburg

Me sketching the castle. Behind a view of Marburg.
I sketched the entry gate to the castle in Marburg, during our time there two weeks ago. Today the castle belongs to the University of Marburg, but until approx. 150 years ago, it was home of the Count.

My favorite part about sketching is that it really makes me look at what I'm drawing, and I think about it.

The thoughts coursing through my mind, while drawing this sketch, were about the people who must have lived here; the Lord's who called this Schloß home.

Did they know how beautiful the surrounding hills are? Did they live in fear of attacks from neighboring Lords? Were they happy?


Too the left you can spy part of the doorway to the entrance of the inner court.

Drawing doesn't give me answers to my questions. Nor does asking the questions make my drawing better, but it does help me appreciate the beauty and richness of history.

No comments:

Post a Comment