Wednesday, September 4, 2013

At 한강 (Han River): Is fried chicken American?

Two days ago, a bunch of us Internationals and several Buddies (Korean students who help us adjust to Korean culture, etc.) went to the Han River. Somehow, I hadn't even registered that Seoul has a river, but of course it does! It makes complete sense that a city, centuries old, would have been built near a water source. Still, I wasn't quite prepared for the full effect of the river, it was HUGE! And it was beautiful (I think you say 아름다운 in Korean).

Rivers are a big part of city culture. You walk near the river, you bike near the river, you meet your friends near the river, you pick-nique near the river; Having lived in Innsbruck, near the Inn river, this culture is familiar to me, and seems to be a way of life in Seoul as well. However, the river in Tirol is a lot smaller than the Han river, and the city skyline is not quite so impressive. Here's a picture of the park we sat in.
The setting sun bathed everything in a beautiful warm light. Wish I'd had my watercolors.
However I did attempt to sketch this scene. Photo of my sketch below:


Yeah....still need to work on my sketching! It's definitely harder than watercolors! :)
Apparently the thing to do while you're enjoying the warm evening sun, is to order fried chicken and have it delivered to where you are sitting. We ordered 8 people's worth of chicken, and ate every piece of it. It was delicious! (맛있었어요! I think that's 'it was delicious' in Korean) Our order also came with plastic pick-nique blankets to sit and eat on. Very convenient! However eating over the face of some Korean celebrity was a little unsettling!^^ To illustrate:


The chicken had somewhat of a familiar taste, after all, chicken will be chicken. Yet it definitely had a non-American flair to it. So it leaves me with the question, that I would love to know the answer to: Is fried chicken American? Considering Pizza (a very American meal) is NOT American, there is a distinct possibility that friend chicken will also turn out to be from somewhere else. Maybe from S. Korea?

Most would probably say, "Who cares about food, when you're in South Korea! There's bunches of more interesting things to do!" However, I would have to reply, that I love food, and Korean food is so different, and so delicious, I think I will spend most of my time here eating! (And starting to go to the gym to make up for it!)




2 comments:

  1. Tessa! I am loving your blog! I spent the last half hour enjoying the reading! Thanks for that! And keep updating us about yours adventures in Seoul!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Gabi!!!! Thank you so much!!! <3 I will definitely keep it up! So far Seoul has been amazing! There is so much to write about!^^

      Delete