Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Spring Break Snapshots

Korean Elementary Schools get one week off between semesters, for their equivalent of spring break. So this past week one of my best friends  (who is currently living in Japan) came to Korea to visit. Together we visited Seoul and Busan, the two major cities in the country. Below are various pictures from our trip! Enjoy!
We started our adventures in Seoul, where we met some other friends from the states and explored the city. 

After Seoul we took a 5 hour bus trip to the bottom of the peninsula, to Busan, the other major city of Korea. This is Gamcheon Cultural Village. Originally a refugee settlement, during the Korean war, it is now a popular destination for Koreans and tourists alike. We stayed in Busan with another friend from Roanoke College, who is also currently working in South Korea. What a small world! 
On our way to meet our friend we stopped for delicious strawberries! I must say, Korean fruit is some of the sweetest, most delicious I have ever had! 
Our second day in Busan was spent exploring Haedong Temple, built in 1376 during the Goryeo Dynasty.

This dragon statue, soaring on a cloud, fascinated me! 
The temple is situated immediately on the coast, and looks out over the ocean. Gorgeous! 

The last stop of our trip took us back to Cheongju, my city, where our host family showed us around town. 

Sang Dang Fortress, built during the Joseon dynasty overlooks the mountains and city of Cheongju. 


We hiked for an hour with my host family, after which we ate delicious food and celebrated Elsa's last day in Korea. The sunset was beautiful.

 In short, spring break was a lovely respite from my regular routine. The new semester starts tomorrow, and except for two or three holidays, I will not have a break from teaching until my contract ends in July. This break has been restful and refreshing and it was wonderful to explore Korea with my friend. I am truly thankful for friendships that span countries and years! 

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet time for you and Elsa! Thanks for sharing so beautifully! (Written by Mom...not sure why it wants to post as Elsa?)

    ReplyDelete