Sunday, August 14, 2016

A day in Seoul and other thoughts


Recap of my trip to Seoul yesterday:
12pm-Gangnam
I am sitting infront of exit 11 in Gangnam, waiting to meet two friends from Roanoke college, I can't help pondering about this odd convergence of worlds. Three years ago I stood here as a study abroad student, my sophomore year of college, never dreaming or guessing that I would return to this very place as a teacher with Fulbright. Odd...nor would I have ever dreamed of meeting up with Roanoke college friends in Seoul, thousands of miles away from Roanoke college...odd...it is as if the me of the past: Sophomore me; the me of the present: recent Roanoke graduate; and the me of the near future: teacher; are colliding, becoming one, in another step toward adulthood.

7pm-Bus to Goesan
The bus is pulling away from the bus terminal, heading back towards Goesan. I ride through the streets of Seoul and think to myself, it has been a good day. I didn't know how much I needed it, but the day spent eating, talking and walking through Seoul with my two friends was a very good day. I remembered that the person I was as a college student is still the person I am today, even if circumstances and countries and cultures around me change, I am still me. I am so thankful for my friends who took an entire day out of their schedules to come visit with me!

Today:
After taking a 40 min walk through the small streets of Goesan, sweating buckets in the sweltering heat, I am sitting in my favorite cafe, blogging and catching up on my devotional. Less than one week left in this small town, and I make my big move to Cheongju where I will be teaching for the rest of the year. I am ready, nervous, but ready!

View of Goesan on my walk

No comments:

Post a Comment